Disinfection Services Comparison to Other Disinfectants

Factors of comparison between disinfectants:

  • Time between disinfectant being applied and organism to be killed
  • Residual effectiveness and the time required to repeat the process of disinfection
  • Selectivity of the chemical disinfectant on vegetative bacteria, spores, viruses, and fungi
  • Labor and time required to apply
  • Effects of chemical disinfectants on staff and others in the treated environment

Disadvantages of commonly-used disinfectants:

Chlorine: Chlorine has broad antimicrobial activity, but is less effective against spore-forming organisms. It can also cause ocular irritation and burns to the gastrointestinal tract, and is corrosive to metal at high concentrations. Further, it has a very short shelf life, is typically mixer-dependent, and is often misused. Lastly, chlorine performs no residual protection.

Bleach: While bleach can be an effective sanitizer, it is not an effective disinfectant. This means that bleach reduces, but doesn’t necessarily eliminate, microbes from hard surfaces to levels considered safe by public health codes or regulations.

Alcohol: Alcohol provides the highest bactericidal effect when a 70% – 80% aqueous solution is used; the bactericidal action of 100% ethanol becomes lower. It is ineffective on spores, evaporates quickly, and has no residual effectiveness. Alcohol’s bactericidal effect decreases when used in low temperatures and its effects are generally short-lived. Finally, alcohol tends to be ineffective against many viruses.

Hydrogen Peroxide: Hydrogen peroxide is often preferred because it causes far fewer allergic reactions than alternative disinfectants. This product is no longer recommended for antiseptic use, as recent studies have shown it to be toxic to growing cells as well as bacteria. Also, hydrogen peroxide has a short shelf life with no residual protection.

Phenol: This disinfectant is corrosive to the skin, can be toxic to sensitive people, and has no residual effectiveness.

UV Light and HPV: All of the above disadvantages created the need to use Ultraviolet Light for disinfection; however, not only is UV Light carcinogenic, it is not effective for shadowed areas and has no residual effectiveness. Therefore, UV Light disinfection should not be used alone, but with the addition of chemical disinfection. UV is expensive, time-consuming, dangerous to occupants in the facilities being treated, and can be difficult to use. Continuous intermittent exposure to the materials used in UV Light treatment can become a serious health concern, and many pigments and dyes are affected by UV “photo tendering” causing yellowed and cracked materials and sealants.

NOTE: The Disinfection Services system will provide long-lasting protection from the effects of UV damage. Both UV and HPV require patient protection and workers are removed during the application process, along with requiring long periods of use to be effective. These systems are costly and provide no residual efficacy, nor do they replace standard disinfection processes.

The Disinfection Services System

Bacterial adhesion to surfaces, especially stainless steel and fabrics, is one of the major reasons for cross-contamination in many instances. The Disinfection Services strategy focuses to inhibit biofilm formation by either killing the pathogen or preventing its adhesion.

Disinfection Services & Coronavirus (COVID-19)

To help combat the spread of the coronavirus and other emerging viral pathogens, Woodard can apply Disinfection Services in your facility. We combine the process of an electrostatic application and an EPA-approved product that has shown to be effective against emerging viral pathogens in 4 minutes similar to SARS-CoV-2, the novel coronavirus that causes the disease COVID-19, in order to outperform other pathogen prevention methods.

If you’re interested in learning more about the Woodard Disinfection Services system or would like to schedule a treatment for your home or business, complete our free estimate request form or call 314-227-7077!