Natural Disasters: Are You Covered?

Over the course of a few weeks, Missouri has been affected by flooding and more recently, a minor earthquake aftershock.

Some homes were left with minor damages, while others require a full service restoration company to help them get back to their lives. Which damages will your insurance cover if your home is affected by a natural disaster?

As a homeowner or renter, it is strongly advised that you know and fully understand your insurance policy. You may be surprised what your policy covers…or doesn’t cover. When purchasing insurance, you may assume that it covers any type of damage that may affect your home or apartment. Unfortunately, that’s not necessarily the case. The vast majority of insurance plans will cover water damage such as a burst pipe or appliance overflow, but not water damage caused by flooding. Flood insurance is almost always additional coverage you must ask for. You will also find that earthquake damage is not covered under your traditional insurance and would require amendments to your policy.

Here’s a little good news about a common natural disaster that is typically covered under your policy:

Generally, tornados are covered under your homeowner’s insurance policy and do not require a separate endorsement or “rider”. (A rider is an optional add-on to your insurance policy. It will provide additional coverage for items that are worth more than the per-item limit of your policy.) However, we do strongly advise that you review your insurance plan to make sure your coverage is sufficient should a tornado touch down.

With weather as unpredictable as Missouri’s, we encourage you to review your insurance policy with your agent or broker. That way, if a natural disaster affects your area, you won’t be fumbling over insurance policies and questioning whether or not you’re covered.